Sunday 2 November 2008

Pink Socks

I was happily enjoying a beautiful London morning, heading to the tube station on my way to work, listening to Anand (Bliss!).
...
And out of nowhere, this bloke appears and greets me. I remove my earphones, and he says he works for Marks & Sparks, and they were carrying out a survey, and would I please tell him what my 3 favourite sock colours were. Just like that, with a perfectly straight face!
...
I thought it was a leeetle fishy as he didn't have any ID or chart or anything, and I wondered why on earth would Marks be carrying out surveys on quiet streets at 8 in the morning! But, I was in a good mood and decided to humour him, so I replied. Yes, I actually did :)
...
Pink, orange and green.
...
AND THEN!!! He asked if I was wearing any!
...
And I replied YES! Pink ones! And then I quickly ran away before it got any weirder :)
...
How absolutely random. I remember looking at the sky (as if calling out to some great spirit out there) and thinking: where on earth do these people come from!!
...
And me being me, I spent a good part of the day wondering what was the the greater message that life was trying to send me... and I was drawing a complete blank, until a friend said:
...
Perhaps the lesson would be to take pleasure in the simple things that make you smile - like choosing to wear whacky socks, and thus completely throwing off the survey's previous blue/black/grey bias ;D
...
...
Inspired by this, and armed with my rekindled love of brightly-coloured socks, you can only imagine what my next pair is going to look like! Only this time I might venture into new territory... furry socks? Socks with tinkly bells? Or maybe I'll stick to the traditional kind and just get rainbow socks with bats all over them.
...
So many choices, but only two feet.
...
The plight of a sock-lover. Sigh.

4 comments:

Help Is On The Way said...

Gurfateh,
Keep on writing on what you go through, it will keep us informed on how are you faring in London. Just to let you know, my wife always visits your blog and she finds that you write good stuff. Take care and may Waheguru bless you always.

Jasbir Singh, BNM

Unknown said...

I totally agree with your wife Jasbir, it is always nice to read Harkirans blog. I have even a link to your blog in my blog- So,whenever you uppdate your blog, I am informed... Nice na. hehe!!
Hope you´re well and enjoying LOndon. Hope to see you in Sweden sometime. Stay cool always.

Cheers,
xxxx

BS Kenth said...

Life's simple pleasures u indulge in...wish i could wear bright green socks to court...

Harkiren Kaur said...

Thanks for your support everyone, it means a lot!

I had no idea that the post would inspire sock lovers to 'come out of the closet'...

Another friend just confessed that she "wore my stripey rainbow socks the other day, with the individual toe compartments"..

Does this call for a Facebook party?? :)